“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lockport in Lafourche Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)


Lockport Marker image. Click for full size.
April 22, 2005
1. Lockport Marker
Inscription. Ruins of locks not washed away by a crevasse in 1917 are near here for which Lockport is named. An earlier settlement was named Longueville by 1835 when William Fields donated land for a canal later known as the Company Canal which connected Bayou Terrebonne with New Orleans across the lakes and Bayou Lafourche. After the locks were built in 1850, the name of the settlement changed and the town was incorporated in 1899 as Lockport.
Erected by Lafourche Historical Society.
Location. 29° 38.854′ N, 90° 32.357′ W. Marker is in Lockport, Louisiana, in Lafourche Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Canal Street and Main Street, on the left when traveling east on Canal Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lockport LA 70374, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Holy Savior Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); First American Casualty Of WW II (approx. 4.6 miles away); Vacherie-Gheens (approx. 4.9 miles away); St. Mary's Nativity Church (approx. 8 miles away); St. Mary's Cemetery (approx.
Lockport Marker image. Click for full size.
April 22, 2005
2. Lockport Marker
8 miles away); Baudoin - Foret School (approx. 9.6 miles away); Residence Plantation (approx. 9.7 miles away); Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic Church (approx. 10.8 miles away).
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 159 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on . • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement