“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Lowndes County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)

Demonstration School

Demonstration School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Davis Darryl Hartness, August 23, 2007
1. Demonstration School Marker
Inscription. The first "laboratory" school for teacher training in the state was established in 1907 by the faculty of Industrial Institute and College (1884), now Mississippi University for Women, the first public college for women in America. The present structure opened in 1929.
Erected 1991 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Location. 33° 29.507′ N, 88° 25.2′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Mississippi, in Lowndes County. Marker is on 11th Street South, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Between 4th & 5th Avenue South on 11th Street South. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus MS 39701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mississippi State College for Women (approx. 0.2 miles away); Church of the Annunciation (approx. 0.3 miles away); C.S.A Arsenal (approx. 0.4 miles away); Friendship Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away); First Baptist Church of Columbus (approx. half a mile away); First Christian Church (approx. half a mile away); Walter "Red" Barber (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
Categories. Education
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Davis Darryl Hartness of Columbus, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 1,021 times since then and 51 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Davis Darryl Hartness of Columbus, Mississippi. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photograph of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement