Columbus in Lowndes County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
First Methodist Church
Erected 1967 by Mississippi Historical Commission.
Location. 33° 29.714′ N, 88° 25.608′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Mississippi, in Lowndes County. Marker is on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus MS 39701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Friendship Cemetery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Christian Church (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church of Columbus (about 600 feet away); Church of the Annunciation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Columbus Mississippi Blues (approx. 0.2 miles away); Franklin Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Home of Tennessee Williams (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
Also see . . . Brief History of First United Methodist Church, Columbus, MS. First Methodist has owned three church buildings. In 1831, a frame structure, the first church building in Columbus, was erected at the corner of 2nd avenue north and 8th street. In 1844, a brick church was built in the center of the same block. The present building was begun in 1860...and was finished in 1866. (Submitted on June 26, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Davis Darryl Hartness of Columbus, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 1,122 times since then and 55 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on , by Davis Darryl Hartness of Columbus, Mississippi. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photograph of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?