Dearborn in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Saint Alphonsus Parish / Saint Alphonsus Catholic Church Complex
Attracted by fertile farmland, some forty German-speaking families from Rhineland-Westphalia settled in this area between 1825 and 1848. The community celebrated its first Catholic Mass in the home of Peter and Catharina Theisen Esper in 1851. The Espers donated four acres of land on the northeast corner of Warren and Schaefer Avenues for the construction of a school, built in 1846, the first church, built in 1852; and a cemetery, founded in 1849. Father Anthony Buechsenmann, who served from 1897 to 1920, kept detailed records of the births, marriages and deaths of some two hundred families. He delivered his sermons in German until World War I.
On May 18, 1930, Saint Alphonsus Parish dedicated its third church, built to accommodate the growing membership. Architect Arthur Des Rosiers, designed the church, as well as the 1924 convent, in the Neo-Gothic style. The church features magnificent windows from the Detroit Stained Glass Works, paintings by Alfred Wrobbel, and a marble and onyx main altar. The cemetery, established in 1876, contains over 250 graves. Many burials, the oldest one dating from 1849, were relocated from the old cemetery at the corner of Warren Avenue and Shaefer Road.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 20.759′ N, 83° 10.583′ W. Marker is in Dearborn, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Gould Street and Schaefer Road, on the left when traveling east on Gould Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7455 Calhoun Avenue, Dearborn MI 48126, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fordson High School (approx. 1.1 miles away); Henry Ford Birthplace (approx. 1.5 miles away); Dearborn City Hall (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Schaefer Building (approx. 1.7 miles away); Dearborn City Hall Complex / Orville L. Hubbard (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Neighborhood (approx. 1.7 miles away); Ford and Dearborn (approx. 2.6 miles away); Ford Rouge Plant (approx. 2.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Dearborn.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 183 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.