Pine Village in Warren County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Pine Village Football
Local team was important Indiana precursor to modern professional football organizations. Clinton Beckett introduced football to Pine Village High School 1898. Town and high school teams played on bottomland, northwest of here, starting local football tradition. Town team, the Villagers, managed by C. J. Shackleton and later by Clair Rhode.
Team became "professional" 1915, claiming state and regional Championships. Jim Thorpe, All-American, played for Villagers in 1915 Thanksgiving Day game against Purdue All-Stars; Villagers won 29 to 0. Team was a founder of Indiana Football League 1917. Following World War I, the Villagers played intermittently until 1927.
Erected 2002 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Pine Village Town Board, Businessmen, and Lions Club. (Marker Number 86.2002.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 40° 26.943′ N, 87° 15.266′ W. Marker is in Pine Village, Indiana, in Warren County. Marker is on South Main Street (Indiana Route 55) south of Boyer Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is located at the Pine Village Fire Station. Marker is in this post office area: Pine Village IN 47975, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hooker Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Dan Patch (approx. 4.9 miles away); Lest We Not Forget (approx. 4.9 miles away); Zachariah Cicott (approx. 8.1 miles away); The Trail of Death (approx. 9 miles away); Davis Township - Maysville (approx. 9.9 miles away); a different marker also named Trail of Death (approx. 10.1 miles away); Hotel Attica (approx. 10.7 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Glimpsing the Past In Pine Village, Indiana. Well worth the read and information.
2. Photos of Dedication (Courtesy - Indiana Historical Bureau):.
Categories. • Entertainment • Notable Places • Sports •
Credits. This page originally submitted on June 26, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,664 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 26, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.