“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbia in Tuolumne County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)

Columbia School House

Columbia School House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 26, 2008
1. Columbia School House Marker
Inscription. In early 1860 the school lot was purchased, building plans selected, and the cornerstone laid. By fall the building was completed by a Mr. Donegan at a total cost of $4898. Dedication ceremonies were held, as was a grand calico party to raise money for a school bell. The school was renovated in 1872 and again in 1881. The school was closed in 1937 as it did not meet earthquake safety standards. In 1947 the State purchased the site from the Columbia Historic Park Association for $1.00. The old school building was restored in 1960 for $60,000, most of which was raised by the students and the California Teacherís Association. Dedicated March 8, 1997 Frank A. Milani, Grand President Native Sons of the Golden West
Erected 1997 by Native Sons of the Golden West.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 38° 2.315′ N, 120° 23.899′ W. Marker is in Columbia, California, in Tuolumne County. Marker can be reached from School House Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia CA 95310, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Columbia Masonic Cemetery (within shouting distance of this
Columbia School House image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 26, 2008
2. Columbia School House
marker); To Honor the Chinese Pioneers (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles Crist Kress (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Columbia Cemetery (about 300 feet away); A Cosmopolitan Society (approx. 0.2 miles away); Claverie Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Prosper Rocher Brewery (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Burns Cottage (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbia.
More about this marker. Marker is attached to the school, directly to the right of the front door.
Regarding Columbia School House. According to the Columbia California Chamber of Commerce, "The Columbia School, Californiaís first two-story brick schoolhouse, stands alone on a gentle hill near the top of School Street. Built in 1860 of locally made, sun-dried bricks, at a cost of $5,000, the school opened in November of that year with 368 students, two teachers and a principal. The first floor held the elementary classroom, upstairs the older students concentrated on their studies.... Also located on the school grounds are two outhouse buildings, offering seats of differing sizes to accommodate all the students. The school was in continuous use until 1937 when it was closed for not meeting California earthquake requirements.... On display inside each classroom are the old wooden desks with their inkwells, the slate blackboards, and other teaching tools such as flash cards, old books, maps, and the dunce cap."
Also see . . .  Columbia's Historic Structures. The Columbia Chamber of Commerce's link to their descriptions of various historic buildings in Columbia. (Submitted on June 26, 2008, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.) 
Categories. EducationNotable Buildings
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,422 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement