Odessa in Ector County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The White-Pool House
White's original tract, sold following his death, was divided by later real state transactions. In 1923 the house and fifty acres were purchased by Oso William Pool (b. 1891) who had homesteaded land in New Mexico prior to his service in World War I.
During the housing shortage created by the area oil boom of 1927, Pool converted his residence into apartments and subdivided the surrounding land for sale as individual lots. Later that year he married Helen Augutha Voss and they occupied the front part of the house. They moved in 1929, but members of the Pool family retained possession of the home until Oso Pool donated it to the county in 1977.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1980
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission
Location. 31° 50.532′ N, 102° 21.849′ W. Marker is in Odessa, Texas, in Ector County. Marker can be reached from East Murphy Street, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is on the east side of the house. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 East Murphy Street, Odessa TX 79761, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of The Dawson Saloon (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Odessa Telephone Exchange (approx. 0.4 miles away); Odessa Land & Townsite Company (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Livery Stable and Wagon Yard (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of The Odessa Sanitarium (approx. 0.4 miles away); General Matthew D. Ector (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ector County Land Rush (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ector County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Odessa.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.