Albany in Shackelford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Producing Oil Well in West Texas
First Producing Oil Well
The Texas Company - J.E. Wild A 1
Survey 65, University Lands
Completed Nov. 9, 1913
The Texas Company
Texas Mid-Continent Oil and Gas
Association at Albany Chamber of Commerce
Commemoration Dinner February 12, 1940
Erected 1940 by Texas Mid-Continent Oil and Gas Association.
Location. 32° 43.377′ N, 99° 17.829′ W. Marker is in Albany, Texas, in Shackelford County. Marker is at the intersection of S. Main Street (U.S. 283) and S. 2nd Street, on the right when traveling north on S. Main Street. Click for map. Marker is located on the west side of the grounds of the Shackelford County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 225 S. Main St, Albany TX 76430, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Texas Cattle Trail (a few steps from this marker); The Rev. John Brown, Clara Barton and the 1886-1887 Drought Relief (a few steps from this marker); Lt. Col. William E. Dyess (within shouting distance of this marker); James Robert Green Rear Admiral Emory Arden Grantham (within shouting distance of this marker); Lt. Colonel William Edwin Dyess (within shouting distance of this marker); Lt. General Robert Boyd Williams (within shouting distance of this marker); Shackelford County (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Albany.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 138 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.