Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Odessa in Ector County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Odessa Telephone Exchange

 
 
The Odessa Telephone Exchange Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 10, 2015
1. The Odessa Telephone Exchange Marker
Inscription. Began operation about 1897, with Edna Fielding as "central" (operator). After Miss Fielding's death in 1902, the Rev. G. B. Ely, a baptist minister, purchased the exchange. Pioneer rancher A. Quincy Cooper bought the system in 1911, and extended service to rural areas, utilizing barbed wire fences as telephone lines. While checking his repairs on a barbed wire line on Jan. 25, 1915, Cooper interrupted the first transcontinental telephone call between Alexander Graham Bell in New York and his assistant in San Francisco. In 1928, the exchange became part of the Southwestern Bell Telephone Company.
 
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3669.)
 
Location. 31° 50.767′ N, 102° 22.108′ W. Marker is in Odessa, Texas, in Ector County. Marker is on North Grant Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 205 North Grant Avenue, Odessa TX 79761, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Odessa Land & Townsite Company (here, next to this marker); Site of Livery Stable and Wagon Yard (here, next to this marker); Site of The Odessa Sanitarium (about
The Odessa Telephone Exchange Marker (on left) image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 10, 2015
2. The Odessa Telephone Exchange Marker (on left)
Odessa Land & Townsite Company Marker (center) and Site of Livery Stable and Wagon Yard Marker (right)
300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of The Dawson Saloon (about 300 feet away); General Matthew D. Ector (about 300 feet away); Ector County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Ector County Land Rush (about 400 feet away); The Waddell Pecan Tree (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Odessa.
 
Categories. CommunicationsIndustry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 130 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement