Eleanor in Putnam County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1979 by West Virginia Department of Culture and History.
Location. 38° 32.122′ N, 81° 55.584′ W. Marker is in Eleanor, West Virginia, in Putnam County. Marker is on Roosevelt Boulevard (U.S. 35) south of North Ash Circle, on the right. Click for map. It is at the Eleanor Town Hall. Marker is in this post office area: Eleanor WV 25070, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Red House Shoals / Civil War Action (approx. 2.2 miles away); Coal Mining in Putnam County (approx. 3.8 miles away); A Park for the Coal Miner (approx. 3.8 miles away); Andrew & Charles Lewis March (approx. 3.8 miles away); George Washington Washington’s Land (approx. 3.8 miles away); Battle of Scary (approx. 8.1 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Scary (approx. 8.1 miles away).
Also see . . . Town of Eleanor History. “In 1934, during perhaps the most disparaging time in American history, the town of Eleanor (initially called Red House Farms), became one of three Subsistence Homesteads built in West Virginia under the Roosevelt Administration. A total of 150 families selected for the Town of Eleanor were offered a challenge and a chance for new life.” (Submitted on July 18, 2015.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 147 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of houses and other buildings in Eleanor • Can you help?