Near Guernsey in Platte County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Forts, Stations, and Camps
There were four forts, numerous stations, and camps along the Oregon-California-Mormon Trails in Wyoming during the mid-1800s. In 1849, Fort Laramie was specifically established to protect emigrants travelling west. The post was abandoned on March 2, 1890. Fort Clay was established October 1855 and predesignated Camp Davis February 1856. Fort Bridger was purchased in 1858 and closed November 6, 1890.
Fort Casper was originally established in May 1862, and named Platte Bridge Station. It was designated a fort November 21, 1856 and was officially abandoned October 19, 1867.
Most military camps and stations were established near Pacific Telegraph stations located near rivers, creeks, and springs. The soldiers at those stations were responsible for protecting emigrants, delivering mail, protecting and repairing the telegraph line. All stations were constructed by the 11th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry Regiment from 1862 two 1864. Buildings were constructed of logs or sod and had dirt or wood floors. All stations had enclosed corrals. Tents were also used for housing.
Camp Marshall, had wood buildings and was located just east of La Bonte Creek
Camp Dodge was established April 1865 by the 11th Kansas Volunteer Cavalry Regiment, four miles east of Platte Bridge Station, on present day Garden Creek, Casper Wyoming. It was composed of tents. The camp was abandoned in June 1865."
All of the stations were abandoned in the Fall of 1866 when the last battalion of the of the 11th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry Regiment and the 3rd U.S. Volunteer Infantry Regiment were finally mustered out of service.
Fort Clay, later named Camp Davis, was later established to protect Richard’ s Bridge. The post was officially abandoned in November of 1856. At its peak, no more than 53 soldiers were assigned there.
The post at Platte Bridge / Camp Payne was established at the Camp Davis site. The post was to maintain communication for the Army’s 1858 Utah Expedition and to protect emigrants using the trail. Companies D and E, 4th Artillery Regiment, under the command of Captain Joseph Roberts and Captain G.W. Getty were assigned there.
Fort Laramie to Horseshoe Creek Station, (S. of Gendo) - 43 miles • Horseshoe to Camp Marshall (on La Bonte Creek) - 20 miles
Erected by The Wyoming National Guard, in cooperation with the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation, U.S. Department of Interior, Wyoming State Historic Preservation Office, ad Wyoming State Parks and Historic Sites.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Oregon Trail marker series.
Location. 42° 15.408′ N, 104° 44.936′ W. Marker is near Guernsey, Wyoming, in Platte County. Marker can be reached from Lucinda Rollins Road near South Guernsey Road, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Guernsey WY 82214, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The United States Army and the Oregon Trail (a Oregon Trail Ruts (a few steps from this marker); Oregon Trail Ruts State Historic Site (a few steps from this marker); The US Army’s Role in Protecting the Oregon Trail is Best Described by the Soldiers (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Oregon Trail Ruts (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Encampments in the Guernsey Area (about 400 feet away); Grave of Lucindy Rollins (approx. 0.3 miles away); Laramie Peak (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Guernsey.
More about this marker. These plaques are located in Oregon Trail Ruts State Historic Site on the path leading from the parking lot to the Oregon Trail Ruts.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 100 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.