Odessa in Ector County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ector County Courthouse
The 1891 courthouse was frame, the remodelled town sanitarium, moved to the present square. Its first floor had rooms for the sheriff, court clerks and Odessa school, while the county and district courtroom was upstairs. As the only public building in town, it provided space for dances, socials and church services. Picnics and baptizings were held at the windmill and tank on the northwest corner of the square. As townsite restriction banned the sale of liquor, Odessa was usually quiet. However, fights broke out when settlers rushed to the courthouse to file claims on public lands.
In 1904 a 2-story red stone courthouse was built just east of the early one. On the lawn in 1906 the Christian church was organized. At that time Odessa had 400 people and little hope for growth, because of drouths and their effects on cattle raising.
After oil discoveries of 1926 stimulated Ector's development, a 3-story cement building was erected in 1938.
The fourth structure was dedicated April 12, 1964, by governor John Connally.
Erected 1964 by Texas Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1380.)
Location. 31° 50.827′ Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 North Grant Avenue, Odessa TX 79761, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ector County Land Rush (here, next to this marker); General Matthew D. Ector (here, next to this marker); Site of The Odessa Sanitarium (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Livery Stable and Wagon Yard (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Odessa Land & Townsite Company (about 400 feet away); The Odessa Telephone Exchange (about 400 feet away); The Waddell Pecan Tree (about 500 feet away); Ector County Newspapers (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Odessa.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.