Odessa in Ector County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ector County Newspapers
The towns of Penwell and Goldsmith supported for a short time, during the oil boom of the 1930s, the only Ector County newspapers known to have been published outside of Odessa.
The first daily newspaper, the "Daily Bulletin", began in 1936. The "News-Times" followed with a daily in 1937. On Oct. 2, 1940, R. Henderson Shuffler consolidated the "Daily Bulletin" and the "News-Times" into the Odessa "American", which he sold on Aug. 11, 1945. Ownership of the newspaper changed twice before Aug. 13, 1948, when it was purchased by Raymond Cyrus Hoiles of Freedom Newspapers, Inc. V. L. Debolt was appointed publisher and has held that position for 26 years.
The Odessa "American" has withstood brief competition from 5 newspapers since its first publication and has been published at this site since 1951.
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1383.)
Location. 31° 50.907′ N, 102° 22.018′ W. Marker is in Odessa, Texas, in Ector County. Marker is on East 4th Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 222 East 4th Street, Odessa TX 79761, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ector County Land Rush (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ector County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); General Matthew D. Ector (about 700 feet away); Site of The Odessa Sanitarium (about 800 feet away); Site of Livery Stable and Wagon Yard (approx. 0.2 miles away); Odessa Land & Townsite Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Odessa Telephone Exchange (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Waddell Pecan Tree (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Odessa.
Categories. • Communications •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 105 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.