Fort Stanton in Lincoln County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
This building was constructed of local stone by troops of the 1st Dragoons and 8th Infantry as a barracks in 1855. It was utilized in that capacity until the fort was closed by the Army in 1896. In 1900, it received its most interesting architectural features and became the administration building for the hospital.
‘The brass bell in the Administration building called the hospital patients to receive their daily supply of medications and was one of the social gathering areas for the men.’
Jack C. Brooks, child at Fort Stanton in the 1930’s
Erected 2014 by Fort Stanton Historic Site.
Location. 33° 29.649′ N, 105° 31.562′ W. Marker is in Fort Stanton, New Mexico, in Lincoln County. Marker is on Parade Ground near State Road 220. Click for map. This marker faces the parade ground and is only accessible by walking. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Stanton NM 88323, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Guardhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Barracks / Dining Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Administration Building TB Tent Cottages (within shouting distance of this marker); New Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); Buildings 17 - 20 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Community House (about 300 feet away); Officer’s Quarters (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Stanton.
More about this marker. This marker is one of an impressive complement of bronze markers with photo etchings which describe the extensive physical remains of historic Fort Stanton, New Mexico.
Regarding Hospital Administration. The building now serves as the Visitor Center for the Fort Stanton Historic Site and houses the Fort's museum exhibits.
Also see . . . Fort Stanton Historic Site, Lincoln County NM. (Submitted on July 22, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 197 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.