Salem in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
The First Meeting House Erected in Salem
The First Meeting House
erected in Salem.
No structure was built earlier
for congregational worship
by a church formed in America.
It was occupied
for secular as well as religious uses.
In it preached, in succession,
I. Roger Williams III; Edward Norris;
II Hugh Peters IV; John Higginson.
It was enlarged in 1639 and
was last used for worship in 1670.
The First Church in Salem, gathered, July and August, 1629,
has had no place of worship but this spot.
The First Church in Salem occupied this spot from
1634 until 1923 and this building was its
fourth meeting House
Upon the union of the First and North Churches the
Society has met for worship in the
North Meeting House
Thereafter known as the First Church
Location. 42° 31.284′ N, 70° 53.709′ W. Marker is in Salem, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Marker is on Essex Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 221-227 Essex St., Salem MA 01970, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Town House (within shouting distance of this marker); Peabody Museum of Salem The Witch Gaol (about 700 feet away); The Burying Point (about 800 feet away); Saint Peter's Episcopal Church (about 800 feet away); Essex County Armed Services Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Salem Witch Trials Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Home of Nathaniel H. Felt (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Salem.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 131 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.