Odessa in Ector County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of The Dawson Saloon
(of the 1890's)
To avoid township restriction on liquor sales, Dawson moved saloon to the street; Tol was brought to trial for this.
"White Ribboners"—Clubwomen—opposed saloons. In the face of their strong opposition, Lish Dawson lost his office, and the business was closed.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4894.)
Location. 31° 50.714′ N, 102° 22.103′ W. Marker is in Odessa, Texas, in Ector County. Marker is on West 2nd Street (Business Interstate 20) east of North Lee Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 West 2nd Street, Odessa TX 79761, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Odessa Telephone Exchange (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Odessa Land & Townsite Company (about 300 feet away); Site of Livery Stable and Wagon Yard Site of The Odessa Sanitarium (about 600 feet away); General Matthew D. Ector (about 700 feet away); Ector County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); Ector County Land Rush (about 700 feet away); The Waddell Pecan Tree (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Odessa.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 166 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.