Opelousas in Saint Landry Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Capital of Confederate Louisiana
—May 1, 1862 - January 23, 1862 —
Location. 30° 32.002′ N, 92° 5.034′ W. Marker is in Opelousas, Louisiana, in Saint Landry Parish. Marker is on Ronald Reagan Highway (U.S. 190) west of South Court Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. In the Parish Courthouse Square. Marker is in this post office area: Opelousas LA 70570, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Opelousas (within shouting distance of this marker); Humble Cottage Lodge No. 19 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Opelousas Colored School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Black Academy At Mt. Olive Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); St. Landry Catholic Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Lt. Fr. Joseph "Verbis" Lafleur (approx. ¾ mile away); a different marker also named St. Landry Catholic Church (approx. ¾ mile away); Opelousas Catholic School (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Opelousas.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 158 times since then and 9 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on . • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?