“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arlington in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)

Arlington Historic Post Office

Arlington Historic Post Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Masler, July 17, 2015
1. Arlington Historic Post Office Marker
Inscription. The Town's first post office building was located in the row of businesses facing the railroad tracks in the area of town currently known as Depot Square. The first Postmaster, Danial Kerman,was appointed in 1866.

Even though the Town was called Haysville during the period,the post office was called Wythe Depot and the name was changed to Withe Depot in 1874. In 1883 the Town's name was changed to Arlington,and in 1885 the post office name was changed from Withe Depot to Arlington.

The location and purpose of the post office building has changed over time .C.C., Keathley purchased the building and moved it to a site behind his building on the northeast corner of Chester and Forrest Street. The building served as Mr.Keathley's residence while he operated his business known as Osborne's Store.

For many years the Arlington Post Office operated out of J.P. Kimbrough's Grocery Store,located on the southeast corner of Chester and Forrest Streets. In 1963 the post office moved its operations to 11974 Walker Street. In 1991 the Arlington Post Office relocated to its current facility on Airline Road.

In 1984 the original post office building was donated to the Town of Arlington by Stanley D. and Elizabeth C.Osborne. In 1989 the Arlington Chapter of the Association for the preservation of Tennessee Antiquities (APTA) moved the building

Arlington Historic Post Office image. Click for full size.
By Steve Masler, July 17, 2015
2. Arlington Historic Post Office
to Chester Street and restored the building, dedicating it to the Town on June 30, 1991. The APTA currently operates the Historic Post Office which displays the community's postal history and memorabilia honoring local veterans.
Erected by Arlington Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities.
Location. 35° 17.808′ N, 89° 39.679′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is on Chester Street just north of Forrest Street. Click for map. On Arlington Depot Square. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6271 Chester Street, Arlington TN 38002, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Harrell Farm Log Cabin (a few steps from this marker); Rachel H.K. Burrow Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Blacksmith Shop (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hughes-College Hill Park (approx. half a mile away); Arlington Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Memphis's Civil War Sites (approx. 2.3 miles away); Grey's Creek Baptist Church (approx. 6 miles away); Old Stagecoach Inn (approx. 6.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Arlington.
Categories. Notable Buildings
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 115 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement