Baton Rouge in East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
When incorporated in 1817, Baton Rouge had become a way station for river traffic and a fledgling center for agricultural interests. By World War II, the petrochemical and shipping industries were firmly established and the city expanded to the east, away from its point of orgin on the river's bank.
Today, the city is a commercial, educational and governmental center heading the Deep South's petrochemical corridor, and one of the nation's leading seaports.
City Parish government and the citizens of Baton Rouge have created a renaissance on the banks of the Mississippi with financial assistance from the State of Louisiana, the Department of Housing and Urban Development and the Economic Development Administration. Riverfront Plaza unites its various elements inviting all back to the historic area where the "red stick" was first discovered centuries ago.
Location. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baton Rouge LA 70802, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The D'Artaguiette Concession (within shouting distance of this marker); The Founding of "Red Stick" (within shouting distance of this marker); Johnny Rivers (within shouting distance of this marker); Louisiana Vietnam War Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); A-7E Corsair II (about 400 feet away); USCGC White Alder (about 400 feet away); U.S.S. Kidd (about 500 feet away); Korean War Memorial (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Baton Rouge.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 174 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on . • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.