West Point in Orange County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
George Armstrong Custer
—U.S. Vol —
Lt. Col. 7th Cavalry
Bvt. Maj. Gen. U.S. Army
December 5th 1839, Harrison Co. Ohio
with his entire command
“Little Big Horn”
June 25th 1876.
Location. 41° 23.993′ N, 73° 58.055′ W. Marker is in West Point, New York, in Orange County. Marker is on Washington Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is located in the West Point Cemetery, Section 27, Row A, Grave 1. Marker is in this post office area: West Point NY 10996, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Winfield Scott (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frederick Dent Grant (about 400 feet away); Wood Monument (about 400 feet away); Anderson Memorial Fountain (about 400 feet away); The Cadet Monument (about 500 feet away); Margaret Corbin (about 700 feet away); The Old Cadet Chapel (about 800 feet away); a different marker also named Margaret Corbin (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in West Point.
Also see . . .
1. Information about George A. Custer. (Submitted on August 8, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. George Custer Home Page. (Submitted on August 8, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
1. George Armstrong Custer Statue
The George Armstrong Custer Monument was originally erected in 1879 near the United States Military Academy's headquarters building, and included a bronze statue of Custer holding a saber and pistol. Many people, including Custer’s widow and several officers who knew him, did not care for the likeness of the statue, and it was removed after just five years and returned to sculptor Stanford White in New York City. The bust of the statue was supposed to be removed and displayed at the West Point Library, but after Stanford White’s controversial murder in 1906, the statue disappeared. The granite pedestal was eventually moved in 1910 to Custer’s gravesite in West Point Cemetery. The current obelisk was added in 1965.
— Submitted April 26, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 942 times since then and 31 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 9. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.