“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Springfield in Livingston Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)

Carter Plantation

Carter Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
May 6, 2011
1. Carter Plantation Marker
Inscription. A Spanish land grant acquired by James Rheims in 1804. Thomas Freeman, fmc, built "Sycamore" 1817-1820.

Colonel William Breed, first sheriff of Livingston Parish, purchased estate in 1838.

George Richardson acquired the property in 1856, which he renamed for his son-in-law, Judge Marcus T. Carter. Their descendents still live on the property. .
Erected 1979 by Edward Livingston Historical Association, Inc.
Location. 30° 24.982′ N, 90° 34.457′ W. Marker is in Springfield, Louisiana, in Livingston Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Carter Cemetery Road and Carter Trace (Louisiana Route 1038), on the right when traveling east on Carter Cemetery Road. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23830 Carter Cemetery Rd, Springfield LA 70462, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Springfield Cemetery Cannon (approx. 1.7 miles away); Springfield's Role in West Florida Revolution (approx. 1.7 miles away); Springfield (approx. 1.8 miles away); Haynes Settlement (approx. 2.1 miles away); Hungarian Settlement
Carter Plantation image. Click for full size.
May 6, 2011
2. Carter Plantation
(approx. 4.4 miles away); Albany, Louisiana (approx. 5.9 miles away); Centerville, Louisiana (approx. 6.7 miles away); Ponchatoula Depot (approx. 8.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Springfield.
Categories. Antebellum South, US
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 123 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on . • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement