Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Confederate Statue
The statue was erected in 1889 by the Robert E. Lee Camp, United Confederate Veterans.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans, and the Virginia, Old Town Alexandria marker series.
Location. 38° 48.231′ N, 77° 2.845′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of South Washington Street (Virginia Route 400) and Prince Street, on the right when traveling south on South Washington Street. Click for map. Marker is on the southwest corner, at the Lyceum. Statue is in the middle of the intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Lyceum (a few steps from this marker); John Douglass Brown House Brigadier General Montgomery D. Corse, CSA (about 600 feet away); Beulah Baptist Church (about 700 feet away); Washington's Tenement House (about 700 feet away); Stabler-Leadbeater House (about 700 feet away); Friendship Fire Company (about 700 feet away); Alfred Street Baptist Church (about 800 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Alexandria.
Regarding The Confederate Statue. From the Smithsonian Institution Research Information System: “The Robert E. Lee Camp introduced legislation into the Virginia House of Delegates, Jan. 9, 1890, to ensure that the statue would never be moved from its location, in the middle of the intersection of Prince and South Washington Streets. Numerous attempts were made in the late 20th century to remove the statue on the grounds either that it was an offensive reminder of slavery, or simply that its location in the middle of an intersection was impractical. After the base had suffered nicks from passing automobiles for several years, a van hit the monument in Aug. 1988
“The statue was designed by John Adams Elder, modeled after the figure in his painting ‘Appomattox,’ which depicts a Confederate soldier viewing the battlefields after the surrender of General Robert E. Lee at Appomattox, Virginia on April 9, 1865.”
Also see . . .
1. Confederate “Appomattox” Memorial in Alexandria, Virginia. Short essay and photographs by Willard Sturgill. “To ensure that the statue would not be moved at some future date, the UCV had legislation introduced into the Virginia House of Delegates which passed on January 9th, 1890 and which reads in part: ‘And whereas it is the desire of the said Robert E. Lee camp of Confederate Veterans and also the citizens and inhabitants of said City of Alexandria that such a monument shall remain in its present position as a perpetual and lasting testimonial to the courage, fidelity and patriotism of the heroes in whose memory it was erected… the permission so given by the said City Council of Alexandria for its erection shall not be repealed, revoked, altered, modified, or changed (Submitted on June 28, 2008.)
2. Confederate Monument Postcards. Postcards in the Alexandria Public Library collection. Click on each image to enlarge. (Submitted on June 28, 2008.)
3. The Confederate Statue. “The dedication ceremony was held on May 24, 1889. Virginia Governor Fitzhugh Lee, formerly a major general of cavalry in the Army of Northern Virginia and a nephew of General Robert E. Lee, delivered the dedicatory address. The Alexandria Gazette recorded the event: ‘The population was soon doubled by the large influx of visitors and former residents from every part of the compass. . . In addition to the extraordinarily large number landed by boat, parties from the neighboring counties in carriages and all sorts of vehicles poured into the streets from early morning and by noon the neighborhood of the statue was packed by a huge mass of humanity.’ ” (Submitted on June 28, 2008.)
1. List of Names on Base of Statue
Seventeenth Virginia Infantry
Company A — Capt. A.J. Humphreys, Sgt. Addison Saunders, Sgt. W. T. Morrill, Corp. J.H.L. Sangster, Frank Abbot, E.V. Fairfax, Robt. H. Green, Eph. Hartley, Hugh S. Hite, L.L. Hutchinson, R.
Company E - Sgt. Jas A. Proctor, Corp. W.M. Harper, Corp. Jas. E. Molair, Corp. Gee. T. Warfield, Jno. Allison, Jos. Bushby, Jos. Calmes, Jno. T. Cook, B.F. Emerson, Jno. Greenwood, H. Kidwell, W.T. Padgett, Jos. Penn, A.E. Skidmore, Jos. Williams, A. Woolls
Company G - Lieut. W.E. Gray, Lieut. Saml. B. Paul, Lieut. Jno. F. Addison, Sgt. Jas. W. Ivor, Corp. P. Doyle, D. Dohoney, P. Harrington, Jno. Horrigan, Jas. Keating, Jno. Murphy, Wm. Purcell
Company H - Lieut. Thos. V. Fitzhugh, Sgt. W. H. Boyer, Sgt. W.A. Lovelace, Corp. E.G. Barbour, Jas. E. Grimes, Corp. W.H.H. Smith, J.W. Baldwin, F.S. Ballenger, C.P. Ballenger, E.S. Beacham, R.E. Buchanan, Chas. R. Burgess, W.A. Castleman, Hayden Fewell, Wm. J. Higdon, P. Lannon, W.H. Lunt, D. McDermont, Jno. T. Mills, Jno. S, Murray, B.F. Padgett, Wm. Terrett, Monroe Whittington
Company I - Jno. S. Hart, A. Gousher, Jno. Slemmer
Alexandria Artillery — Ed. Calmes, E. Frank Elliott, Jas. Greenwood, P. Foster, W. Harding, Thos. Murphey, Richard Owens, T. A. Petty, Robt. Posey,
Col. Wm. Orton Williams, C.S.A.; Col. Lewellyn Powell, C.S. Arty; Lt. Col. S.W. Presstman, Eng. Corps; Lt. Col. W.F. Lee, 33rd Va. Infty.; Maj. Johnston de Lagnel, Arty., P.A.C.S.; Lieut.
James W. Jackson’s name was added to the east side of the statue in 1900. He was the proprietor of the Marshall House who was killed on May 24, 1861, during the occupation of the city.
— Submitted June 28, 2008.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 9,513 times since then and 644 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 4. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.