Honey Hollow Watershed
The conservation practices that were started in 1939 would continue under the guidance of the Soil Conservation Service, and thus serve as demonstration of the latest and best methods of maintaining our soil and holding water on the land.
On October 12, 1969, a ceremony was held on the hillside overlooking the valley through which the Honey Hollow stream flows. The purpose of the gathering was to dedicated the Honey Hollow Watershed as a National Historic Landmark—the first agricultural landmark of its kind.
“Pool land makes poor farmers; good soils make substantial farmers.”
Dr. Hugh Bennett, First Chief of the Soil Conservation Service.
(Inscription under the images in the center)
U.S. Department of Agriculture Secretary Henry Wallace (left) meets at Honey Hollow with P. Alston Waring, Gene Crooks and Forrest Crooks in 1944.
(Inscription on the image denoting a plaque)
Honey Hollow Watershed has been designated
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 40° 22.337′ N, 75° 0.539′ W. Marker is in New Hope, Pennsylvania, in Bucks County. Marker is on Creamery Road. Click for map. The marker is on the grounds of Bucks County Audubon Society, Honey Holly Environmental Education Center. Marker is in this post office area: New Hope PA 18938, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Honey Hollow Watershed (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Honey Hollow Watershed (approx. 0.4 miles away); Samuel D. Ingham (approx. 1.6 miles away); John Wells (approx. 2.2 miles away); Mills (approx. 2.5 miles away); Pennsylvania Canal (approx. 2.6 miles away); Centre Bridge (approx. 2.7 miles away in New Jersey); Centre Bridge / Delaware and Raritan Canal Feeder (approx. 2.7 miles away in New Jersey). Click for a list of all markers in New Hope.
Categories. • Education • Environment •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 105 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.