Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Between May 20-24, 1961 Dr. Harris opened this home to a group of 33 students from Nashville, Tennessee, who were challenging interstate bus segregation. Known as the Freedom Riders, the group was attacked at the historic Montgomery Greyhound Bus Station upon arrival and harassed by rioters. In the days following the attack, martial law was declared and Harris' home served as a haven for the Freedom Riders. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Dr. Ralph D. Abernathy, James Farmer, John Lewis, Diane Nash, and others met at the Harris House to develop plans and strategy for continuing the rides. On March 24, after solemn prayer, the Freedom Riders were escorted by the National Guard to the Greyhound Bus Station and continued on with their mission to Jackson, Mississippi.
In March 1965 Dr. Harris assisted local black doctors on the grounds of St. Jude's Hospital with medical care of the participants of the historic Selma-to- Montgomery Voting Rights March.
In 1992, the house was listed to the Alabama Register of Historic Places as a Contributing property of the Centennial Hill Historic District.
This house, originally constructed at the turn of the century, was the house of Dr. Richard H. Harris Jr. (1918-1976). The grandson of John W. Jones, an Alabama state senator during Reconstruction.
Erected by Alabama Historic Commission.
Location. 32° 22.409′ N, 86° 17.786′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is on South Jackson Street, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 372 South Jackson Street, Montgomery AL 36104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Minister's Home / Dr. Martin Luther King (within shouting distance of this marker); South Jackson Street / Victor Hugo Tulane (about 500 feet away, measured in a The Hon. Rufus A. Lewis (about 700 feet away); Aurelia Eliscera Shines Browder (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Jackson-Community House/The Montgomery City Federation of Women’s Clubs (approx. 0.2 miles away); Centennial Hill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Georgia Gilmore (approx. 0.2 miles away); First White House of the Confederacy (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Montgomery.
Regarding Harris House. From 1941 to 1946 996 pilots were graduated at at TAAF (Tuskegee Army Air Field). Most served overseas in the 99th Pursuit Squadron (Later named the 99th Fighter Squadron) or 322 Fighter Group.
These fighter pilots proved to be a valuable asset protecting the bombers on their missions.
At the end of the war these airmen had shot down 111 enemy aircraft and destroyed another 150 on the ground. One of these pilots alone sank a German destroyer,an amazing feat in wartime. At the end of the war the Tuskegee Airmen had lost 150 men in combat and accident, and made aviation history. Richard H. Harris (a fighter pilot) was part of this
Also see . . . Tuskegee Airmen Website. (Submitted on March 4, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • African Americans • Civil Rights • Notable Events • War, World II •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dodson M. Curry of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 2,134 times since then and 35 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Dodson M. Curry of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.