Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Kahl Montgomery/Catoma Street Church of Christ

 
 
Kahl Montgomery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 12, 2014
1. Kahl Montgomery Marker
Inscription.
(side 1)
Kahl Montgomery

Jewish citizens organized in 1846; Kahl (Congregation) Montgomery chartered April 12, 1852. New Orleans philanthropist Judah Touro willed $2,000 as nucleus for temple building fund. Property acquired 1858. Philadelphia architect John Stewart designed Romanesque Revival edifice. Interior followed traditional plan with separate seating for men and women. Ark, which contained Torah Scroll, remains visible. Building dedicated 1862; named Beth-Or (House of Light) 1874. Members worshipped here until building of Clayton Street Temple in 1902. Congregation moved to Narrow Lane Road in 1961.
(Continued on other side)
(side 2)
Catoma Street Church of Christ
(Continued from other side)
Churches of Christ in America grew from movement to return to Apostolic Christianity. This congregation organized 1881 under the leadership of educator and minister J.M. Barnes who had earlier founded churches, the Strata Academy, and Highland Home College south of Montgomery. Worshippers met first in Court House then in small church on Herron Street. This building purchased for $7,500 in 1901 as Jewish congregation prepared for move to new Clayton Street temple. "Eye of God" window in auditorium painted for Kahl Montgomery
Catoma Street Church of Christ Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 12, 2014
2. Catoma Street Church of Christ Marker
by Annie J. Smith, later a founding member of this church.

 
Erected 1993 by the Alabama Historical Association.
 
Location. 32° 22.469′ N, 86° 18.682′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Catoma Street and Church Street, on the right when traveling north on Catoma Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Catoma Street, Montgomery AL 36104, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ladies Memorial Association (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Judge Frank M. Johnson: Judicial Fairness in the Age of Segregation (about 600 feet away); The Frank M. Johnson, Jr. Federal Building and US Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Civil Rights Freedom Riders (about 700 feet away); Rosa Parks and the Montgomery Bus Boycott (about 700 feet away); Tribute to Montgomery's "Foot Soldiers" (about 800 feet away); Lomax House, 1848 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Montgomery County World War II Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Montgomery.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Catoma Street Church of Christ image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 12, 2014
3. Catoma Street Church of Christ
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 338 times since then. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement