Fort Stanton in Lincoln County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Barracks / Dining Hall
Soldiers of the 10th Infantry Co. E in front of the barracks in 1892
This building, like most, has been modified numerous times to suit the needs of the entities that managed it. Originally built in 1855 as a barracks for a company of soldiers, it also contained a small quarters for the laundresses. The Army expanded the building several times to keep up with the changing needs of its soldiers. During the hospital era, this building was used as a dining hall for staff and patients who were always separated.
‘Here the nights are so cold in the summer that you can sleep under three or four blankets. While I am writing this letter it is snowing as hard as it can …. The company has all started out again after Indians …. They have all left the Fort Stanton reservation and gone on the war path.’
Pvt. James A. Chapman, 8th Cavalry, May 1875
Erected 2014 by Fort Stanton Historic Site.
Location. 33° 29.665′ N, 105° 31.552′ W. Marker is in Fort Stanton, New Mexico, in Lincoln County. Marker is on Parade Ground near New Mexico Route 220. Click for map. This marker faces the parade ground and is only accessible by walking. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Stanton NM 88323, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Hospital Administration (within shouting distance of this marker); New Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); TB Tent Cottages (within shouting distance of this marker); Guardhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Buildings 17 - 20 (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Administration Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Community House (within shouting distance of this marker); Officer’s Quarters (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Stanton.
More about this marker. This marker is one of an impressive complement of bronze markers with photo etchings which describe the extensive physical remains in the Fort Stanton, NM National Register Historic District.
Regarding Barracks / Dining Hall. The building is open to public and exhibits a period barracks room with furniture, fixtures, and equipment.
Also see . . . Fort Stanton Historic Site, Lincoln County NM. (Submitted on July 26, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 155 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.