Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chalchuapa, Santa Ana, El Salvador — Central America (West Coast)
 

Dr. Stanley Boggs

 
 
Dr. Stanley Boggs Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 18, 2015
1. Dr. Stanley Boggs Marker
Inscription.
El Consejo Nacional para la Cultura y el Arte
CONCULTURA
Nomina al
Museo del Parque Arqueológico Tazumal:
“Doctor Stanley H. Boggs”
Como reconocimiento por su valioso aporte en la investigación
arqueológica del pais y especialmente en la
reconstrucción del parque arqueológico Tazumal.
Dado en la ciudad de Chalchuapa, a los nueve dias del mes de octubre de dos mil cinco
Luis Federico Hernandez Aguilar
Presidente

English translation:
The National Council for Culture and Arts
CONCULTURA
Names the Tazumal Archaeologicial Park Museum for:
“Doctor Stanley H. Boggs”
In recognition of his invaluable support in the archaeological investigation of El Salvador, especially in the reconstruction of the Tazumal Archaeological Park.
Given in the city of Chalchuapa, October 9, 2005
Luis Federico Hernandez Aguilar, President

 
Erected 2005 by El Consejo Nacional para la Cultura y el Arte.
 
Location. 13° 58.808′ N, 89° 40.459′ W. Marker is in Chalchuapa, Santa Ana. Click for map. The marker is on the outside of the Tazumal Archaeological Site's museum in Chalchuapa, Santa Ana, El Salvador.
 
Other nearby markers. At
Dr. Stanley Boggs Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 18, 2015
2. Dr. Stanley Boggs Marker
The marker is on the exterior wall of the museum to the left. Directly in front is a large rock that includes a petroglyph. The Tazumal pyramid is partially visible on the right.
least 8 other markers are within 14 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ernesto "Che" Guevara's Visit to El Salvador (within shouting distance of this marker); Here Died General Justo Rufino Barrios (approx. 1.1 kilometers away); 200th Anniversary of the First Cry of Salvadoran Independence (approx. 8.8 kilometers away in Ahuachapán); First Century of the City of Atiquizaya (approx. 8.9 kilometers away in Ahuachapán); Salvador Antonio Gómez Góchez (approx. 9 kilometers away in Ahuachapán); David Granadino (approx. 12.8 kilometers away); Aurelio Fuertes and Santa Ana Cathedral (approx. 12.9 kilometers away); Ecological Park "San Lorenzo" (approx. 14.4 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Chalchuapa.
 
Regarding Dr. Stanley Boggs. Stanley Harding Boggs was born in Ohio in 1910. He studied archeology at the University of Harvard in 1932 and later at the University of Arizona. He started his career in the inventory of archaeological sites in Haiti, as an assistant photographer. Boggs was then was employed by Morley at Chichen Itzá, Mexico. He was then hired to work at Copán, Honduras and arrived there in the late 1930s. Boggs arrived in El Salvador in 1939, working as a photographer for projects at San Andrés, one of the largest sites of the classical period in the country. The project progressed until 1941, when
Tazumal pyramids and other construction at the site. image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 18, 2015
3. Tazumal pyramids and other construction at the site.
it was stopped by the outbreak of World War II. Project reports these two years were published by Boggs through the National Museum of El Salvador (now known as The Dr. David J. Guzman National Museum of Anthropology) in 1942. Continuing with the San Andrés project, Boggs became interested in the archaeological zone of Chalchuapa, another important area in El Salvador. The main structure of Tazumal in this time was partially destroyed since the villagers had taken material from the pyramids to build houses in the area. The work began in the early 1940s and resulted in the protection and reconstruction of Tazumal as an archaeological park. He also taught at the University of El Salvador (UES). Boggs remained in the country and was hired by the National Archaeological Museum as Director, occupying this position for almost 50 years until his death in 1991.
 
Categories. AnthropologyEducationNative AmericansScience & Medicine
 
Dr. Stanley Boggs' reconstucted house image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 18, 2015
4. Dr. Stanley Boggs' reconstucted house
This small house has a handmade sign on it that reads (translated to English): "This house was built by Stanley H. Boggs in the 40s and reconstructed with recycled materials by the park's employees in 2011. Collaboration of the Municipal Mayor's Office"
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 369 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement