Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
North Lewisburg in Champaign County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Friends Church / Friends Cemetery

 
 
Friends Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, July 26, 2015
1. Friends Church Marker
close up, showing text; Side A
Inscription.
Friends Church

Among the earliest settlers to Rush Township were members of the Religious Society of Friends or Quakers, who emigrated from the eastern states, mostly Pennsylvania and North Carolina. At first religious services were held in the homes of devout Quakers who in turn built a small-framed meeting house on this site in 1842. The present Friends Church replaced the original structure in the 1870s at a cost of $4,245. Although not a stop on the Underground Railroad, the church supported local ardent Abolitionists who helped runaway slaves reach freedom in Canada. An epidemic during the winter of 1850-1851 reduced the Friends' membership and led to several Quaker families relocating to Iowa. The final religious service was held here on October 26, 1997, after which the church was donated to the village of North Lewisburg.

Friends Cemetery
The cemetery of the Quaker Church lies to the west of this building and was used from circa 1846 through circa 1885. It was one of the earliest cemeteries in Champaign County with the first recorded burial being Moses Winder on August 5, 1846, and the last recorded burial on May 18, 1885 of Caroline S. Pim. Among those interred here are Civil War veteran William W. Fell, the first marshal of Lewisburg Harmon Limes,
Friends Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, July 26, 2015
2. Friends Church Marker
close up, showing text; Side B
and one of the first trustees to serve Lewisburg Abner Winder Jr. As the church membership dwindled, the upkeep of the cemetery proved difficult and fell into neglect and disrepair. As with the Friends Church, the village of North Lewisburg took over owner- ship of the cemetery when it was donated in 1997.
 
Erected 2005 by Village of North Lewisburg Friends of North Lewisburg Branch of Champaign County Library Champaign County Bicentennial Historical Marker Committee The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 20- 11.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 40° 13.663′ N, 83° 33.535′ W. Marker is in North Lewisburg, Ohio, in Champaign County. Marker is on W, Elm Street (County Route 111) near Winder St, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 191 W Elm St, North Lewisburg OH 43060, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. North Lewisburg Fire Bell (approx. 0.4 miles away); North Lewisburg, O. Service Flag (approx. 0.4 miles away); North Lewisburg, Ohio Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.1
Friends Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, July 26, 2015
3. Friends Church Marker
full view of marker
miles away); Pottersburg Bridge (approx. 1.9 miles away); Spain Creek Covered Bridge (approx. 1.9 miles away); Christopher Crary (approx. 3.4 miles away); Cushman Monument (approx. 4 miles away); Warren Sibley Cushman (approx. 4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in North Lewisburg.
 
Categories. Abolition & Underground RRCemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.
 
Friends Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, July 26, 2015
4. Friends Church Marker
marker can be seen at a distance
Friends Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, July 26, 2015
5. Friends Church Marker
the Church building, now used as the village library
Friends Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, July 26, 2015
6. Friends Church Marker
the cemetery, now well kept, by the Village
Friends Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, July 26, 2015
7. Friends Church Marker
sign designating the old Church as the Village Library
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 126 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement