Odessa in Ector County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Cable Tool Rig
The cable tool rig was introduced in Texas in 1866. (Some use of cable tools had been made around 1840 in the north.) Texas gave the southwestern oil industry the first lease, the first oil pipe line, the first wooden and iron storage tanks, the first iron drums for transporting crude oil and first use of the augur principle later employed in rotary rigs.
The cable tool rig brought in the first important wells of the Permian Basin. This rig was reconstructed from parts of several rigs actually used at Big Lake, Reagan County, where the No. 1 Santa Rita blew in during May 1923 as the first well in the first major oil field in the Permian Basin.
To the cable tool rig and the men who used it goes credit for the great development in the Permian Basin.
Erected 1964 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5298.)
Location. 31° 53.138′ N, 102° Click for map. Marker is at the north end of the fair grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4201 Andrews Highway, Odessa TX 79762, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Permian Basin Oil Show (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Permian Basin Fair & Exposition (about 800 feet away); Odessa Chuck Wagon Gang (about 800 feet away); The Permian Basin (approx. 0.2 miles away); M.O. Boring, Jr. (approx. 0.2 miles away); E.G. Rodman, Sr. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tom “Pinkie” Roden (approx. 0.2 miles away); W.D. Noel (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Odessa.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 94 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.