Early Life on the Moland Farm
The Moland House
W.W.H. Davis in his second edition of The History of Bucks County (1905) includes a description of the Moland House:
“Washington quartered in the farmhouse of John Moland, then lately deceased”
“a substantial stone dwelling…in good preservation.”
“As when Washington occupied it, the first floor of the main building is divided into two rooms with entry near the kitchen; the larger room being on the south (west) side and entered from the porch the smaller back. The latter is thought to have been used by Washington as an office, the larger a reception room. In each there was a open fireplace and then as now a door opened into the kitchen.
The historian William J. Buck writing about the Moland House in the first article that was published on the Neshaminy Encampment claims, it was the “Best finished house in the neighborhood” at the time of the Revolution.
The Moland Farm
In the late colonial period (1750-80) the average family farm in the settled rural
Seventy-five percent of Bucks County farmsteads were above fifty acres-the minimum acreage considered sufficient for sustaining a family.
The April 1761 inventory of goods and chattel in the estate of John Moland provides us with some interesting insight regarding his country farm. The following items were listed in the inventory: *Slaves, cattle and farm implements-support an assumption that the Moland properties were actively being farmed. *Four spinning wheels-suggest that either flax as grown, sheep herded, or both. *A still-which suggests the making of distilled spirits.
The Well House
The little 1850 house southeast of the Moland House, features a very unusual cove shape at the roofline. The well house was probably used for food preparation and canning, with shelves on the walls, a stove chimney in the rear and a ladder leading up to a loft.
The well itself was protected by a roof structure open on two sides and supported by the stone wall extension on the south wall.
The basement, accessible through the large padlocked door to the right, was used as a root cellar and features a very attractive vaulted stone ceiling. Of special note are the
Erected by Funded in part by a grant from the Bucks County Conference & Visitors Bureau.
Location. 40° 14.181′ N, 75° 5.497′ W. Marker is in Hartsville, Pennsylvania, in Bucks County. Marker is on Old York Road. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1641 Old York Road, Warminster PA 18974, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Welcome to the Moland House (here, next to this marker); Moland House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cross Roads (approx. 0.6 miles away); Log College (approx. 1.5 miles away); John Fitch's Steamboat (approx. 2.1 miles away); Warminster Community Park-Sandpiper (approx. 3 miles away); Johnsville Naval Air Development Center (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Battle of the Crooked Billet (approx. 3.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hartsville.
Categories. • Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 143 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.