Belmont in Nye County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Silver ore discoveries in 1865, the convenience of wood and water and a naturally fine location resulted in the attractive tree-shaded, mining and milling center of Belmont. Once the most flourishing town in eastern Nevada, it was the county seat from 1867-1905.
English-Irish feuds flared frequently and the German-dominated merchant section of town once flew its own flag.
Silver production totaling $4 million was from unusually high grade but shallow ores. Most mines shut down by 1890.
Erected 1971 by Nevada State Park System. (Marker Number 138.)
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 38° 35.779′ N, 116° 52.555′ W. Marker was in Belmont, Nevada, in Nye County. Marker could be reached from Cedar Street 0.1 miles west of Main Street (Nevada Route 82), on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker was located in front of the historic Nye County Courthouse. Marker was in this post office area: Manhattan NV 89022, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this location Lady Guardian of Old Belmont (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line).
Also see . . . Friends of the Belmont Courthouse. Includes a history and photographs of Belmont and detailed information on the courthouse. (Submitted on July 28, 2015.)
1. Replacement Marker
The marker was removed some time around 2010 and replaced with a new marker that is located 300 feet southeast of the original marker. The text on the replacement marker has been modified from the original and reads:
Belmont sits at an elevation of 7400 feet. A spring flowing year round made this a gathering site of the Shoshone Indians for rabbit drives and celebrations.
In 1865, silver ore discoveries led to the development of an attractive tree-shaded mercantile community. East Belmont became the mining and milling center. A wide range of nationalities worked the mines, operated businesses, and provided services. At its height, Belmont had schools, churches, a post office, and a newspaper as well as a Chinatown, a red light district, and a racetrack. The town was the Nye County seat from 1867 to 1905, and a courthouse survives from this period.
Belmont had a reputation as a rowdy town. Incidents of saloon brawls, vigilante
Silver production totaling four million dollars was from high grade but shallow ore. By 1890, most mines ceased to be profitable and were forced to shut down. Belmont’s population dwindled as most residents left for new discoveries in nearby mining towns.
— Submitted July 28, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 143 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.