“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)

Sidney Lanier High School

Sidney Lanier High School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 19, 2014
1. Sidney Lanier High School Marker
Inscription. Established in 1910 on South McDonough Street, this school was named for the well-known southern poet, Sidney Lanier, who resided in Montgomery 1866-67.

This late Gothic Revival building was constructed 1928-29 to consolidate the original Lanier and Montgomery County (Cloverdale) High Schools. The name of the new school was decided by the outcome of the football game between the two schools in the fall of 1929. Frederick Ausfeld was the architect, Algernon Blair the contractor and consultants from Columbia University were called in to ensure that the building incorporated all the latest educational innovations and requirements. The building opened for classes in September 1929 and was dubbed “The Million Dollar School” due to its approximate cost.

Lanier is recognized throughout Alabama and the Southeast as a model for academic excellence and for its tradition of intellectual integrity and scholastic accomplishment.
Erected 1989 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 21.353′ N, 86° 18.582′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from South Court Street south of Felder Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Click for map.
Sidney Lanier High School image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 19, 2014
2. Sidney Lanier High School
South Court Street is a one-way street heading south. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1756 South Court Street, Montgomery AL 36104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Alabama Governor's Mansion (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rosa Parks Branch Library / Bertha Pleasant Williams (approx. half a mile away); Folmar - Siegelman House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Home of Dr. E. D. Nixon, Sr. (approx. 0.6 miles away); Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Cleveland Court Apartments (approx. 0.7 miles away); Charlie and Lucille Times (approx. 0.7 miles away); Holt Street Baptist Church (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Montgomery.
More about this marker. Marker was replaced and moved from the street to next to the building entrance.
Also see . . .  School website. (Submitted on January 20, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. Education
Historic Places Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 19, 2014
3. Historic Places Plaque
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 322 times since then and 80 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement