Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Salem in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Central Wharf

Salem Maritime National Historical Site

 

—National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —

 
Central Wharf Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, October 2, 2010
1. Central Wharf Marker
Inscription. The grassy strip of land extending into the harbor in front of you was once a busy commercial wharf. In the late 1700’s and early 1800s, trade goods from around the world were loaded, unloaded and stored here. Build in 1784, Central Wharf was purchased in 1791 by ship owner Simon Forrester and extended to a length of 795 feet---the fourth longest in Salem. On the foundation in front of you, Forrester built a fine brick warehouse. From his home across the street behind you, Forrester could survey the source of his wealth---the ships and warehouses that lined the wharf.

Through the years the wharf has seen many uses. In the late 1800s and early 1900s, flour, grain, and coal were loaded here. From 1947 to 1973 the U.S. Navy operated a Reserve Training Center on this site. Today the historic remains of Central Wharf are preserved within Salem Maritime National Historic Site.
 
Erected by National Park Service.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 42° 31.236′ N, 70° 53.238′ W. Marker was in Salem, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Marker was on Derby Street. Click for map. Marker was in this post office area: Salem MA 01970, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance

Central Wharf Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, October 2, 2010
2. Central Wharf Marker
of this location. Salem Maritime National Historic Site (within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing); Wharves in the Late 1800s (within shouting distance of this marker); The Pedrick Store House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Central Wharf (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Salem Maritime National Historic Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Derby Wharf (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line but has been reported missing); a different marker also named Derby Wharf (about 300 feet away); Home for Aged Women (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Salem.
 
More about this marker. This marker has been replaced by a recently submitted marker of the same name but with different text.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceWaterways & Vessels
 
Central Wharf Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, October 2, 2010
3. Central Wharf Marker
The name of the ship is Friendship of Salem
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 257 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement