“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Decatur in Morgan County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)



Albany Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, August 23, 2009
1. Albany Marker
Inscription. On Jan. 11, 1887, the Decatur Land Improvement and Furnace Company, Inc. was formed under the leadership of E. C. Gordon, C.C. Harris and W.W. Littlejohn. With a capital investment of $7,500,000, the company purchased 5600 acres of land, including 100 acres set aside for churches and schools. "New Decatur" was advertised as the "Gateway City" with well planned streets and improvements, and 41 new industries and 500 new structures were built in 1887. To alleviate northern/southern rivalries, streets bore the names of four Civil War Generals, two Union and two Confederate. The State Legislature confirmed the "New Decatur" charter on February 13, 1889. However, a yellow fever epidemic in 1888 and financial panic in 1892-94 halted the initial boom. Recovery was slow but steady. In September, 1916 "New Decatur" changed its name to "Albany" (after Albany, New York) to diminish rivalries between "Old" and "New" Decatur. A consolidation effort failed on August 28, 1923, because of tax inequities, but finally succeeded on February 4, 1927. Albany was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on Feb. 3, 1983.
Location. 34° 35.918′ N, 86° 58.787′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Alabama, in Morgan County. Marker is on Gordon Drive near 6th Avenue and Gordon Drive. Click for map. Marker is located at entrance to park on left on Gordon Drive. Marker is in this post office area: Decatur AL 35601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Beauty and Hope (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carolyn Cortner Smith (about 600 feet away); Social and Cultural Opportunities (about 800 feet away); Health and Civic Welfare (approx. 0.2 miles away); Recreation and Refreshment (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. John's Episcopal Church (approx. mile away); War in Vietnam (approx. 0.7 miles away); World War One (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Decatur.
Also see . . .  Decatur Streets. The 4 streets names for Confederate and Union Generals are General Sherman, General Grant, (Union), General Jackson and General Johnston (Confederate). The streets are located near the Delano Park area between Gordon St and Moulton Streets. (Submitted on March 19, 2012, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.) 
Categories. Antebellum South, US
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 429 times since then and 87 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador. Photo   1. submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement