Midland in Midland County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Midland National Bank
With its business largely dependent upon the cattle industry, the bank served its customers until a prolonged drought caused an economic crisis which led to its reorganization in 1923. By 1927 the oil industry had become the major business of the bank. Throughout the subsequent "boom and bust" years of the oil business, the bank has continued operations.
A new three-story bank building was erected in 1953 on the corner of Texas and Big Spring, and a nine-story tower was added four years after. In a continued period of growth, the bank merged with the Bank of the Southwest in 1968. A new fourteen-story building was completed at this site in 1976. In 1983 the bank's name was changed to First City National Bank of Midland.
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3368.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is in the center courtyard of the Faskin Center. Access from Texas Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 West Texas Avenue, Midland TX 79701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Yucca Theatre (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of “The Staked Plains” (approx. 0.3 miles away); Former Site of Midland National Bank (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Midland County's First Bank (approx. 0.3 miles away); John Valentine Pliska (approx. 0.4 miles away); Brown-Dorsey House (approx. half a mile away); First Christian Church of Midland (approx. 0.6 miles away); George W. Bush Childhood Home (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Midland.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 140 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.