Mobile in Mobile County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Government Street Presbyterian Church
Founded, with 21 members, in 1831, by Rev. John B. Warren. This sanctuary erected 1834. Designated by the U.S. Dept. of the Interior as one of America's historic buildings. Presby-terian mother church for Southern Alabama.
Erected 1951 by the Historic Mobile Preservation Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 30° 41.356′ N, 88° 2.649′ W. Marker is in Mobile, Alabama, in Mobile County. Marker is at the intersection of Government Street (U.S. 98) and South Jackson Street, on the right when traveling west on Government Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Government Street, Mobile AL 36602, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Le Marquis de Lafayette visited Mobile (within shouting distance of this marker); Mobile City Limits (within shouting distance of this marker); Portier House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); On this Spot Woodrow Wilson Said: (about 400 feet away); Wallace Turnage (about 400 feet Nicola Marschall Residence (about 600 feet away); 400 Government Street 1860 (about 600 feet away); Cathedral-Basilica of the Immaculate Conception / Archdiocese of Mobile (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Mobile.
Also see . . . History from Church website. (Submitted on July 30, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 176 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.