Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Salem in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
 

The Pedrick Store House

 
 
The Pedrick Store House Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 1, 2015
1. The Pedrick Store House Marker
Inscription. The Pedrick Store House, originally located on Marblehead Harbor, was built by Marblehead merchant Thomas Pedrick (1736-1802) in about 1770. It was first used as a store house for salt and goods from the cod fish trade, with a sail loft on the second floor. Later, during the American Revolution, goods seized by Pedrick’s privateers were stored here. As the local maritime economy changed in the 19th and 20th centuries, so did the building’s uses.

In 2003, the National Park Service acquired the structure and dismantled the frame. After repair, the frame was reassembled here on Derby Wharf, using period building techniques. A new roof, windows, and clapboards restored the structure to its 19th century appearance.

Captions:
The Store House retained much of its earlier appearance into the 1900s, when these photos were taken.

The building shortly before disassembly.

Raising the “bents” into place, Derby Wharf, 2008.

The fully assembled frame, Derby Wharf, 2008.

In 1905-6, the building was altered by its new owner, the Marblehead Transportation Company, for use by the adjacent New Fountain Inn. The attic story and gable roof were removed, a roof balustrade and windows added, and the entire building reshingled.

From the end of World War II to 1978, when
The Pedrick Store House Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 1, 2015
2. The Pedrick Store House Marker
The Pedrick Store House is in the background.
the Town of Marblehead purchased the building, it was the harbor’s commercial hub. Boating supplies, fuel, ferry services, and transport to moorings could be obtained at the facility, shown here in 1950.

The open floor plan of the second floor sail loft made the building a good place for special events. This photo of the Russell family reunion from around 1900 shows the interior of the building much like it appears today.
 
Erected by National Park Service.
 
Location. 42° 31.245′ N, 70° 53.201′ W. Marker is in Salem, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Marker can be reached from Derby Street. Click for map. The marker is at Salem Maritime National Historic Site. Marker is at or near this postal address: 177 Derby Street, Salem MA 01970, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wharves in the Late 1800s (within shouting distance of this marker); Central Wharf (within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing); Salem Maritime National Historic Site (within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing); Derby Wharf (within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing); a different marker also named Derby Wharf (within shouting distance of this marker); The Custom House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Central Wharf (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Salem Maritime National Historic Site (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Salem.
 
Categories. Colonial EraIndustry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 155 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement