Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stanton in Martin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Stanton Church of Christ

 
 
Stanton Church of Christ Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 11, 2015
1. Stanton Church of Christ Marker
Inscription. At the turn of the 20th century, a group of Stanton-area residents who belonged to the Church of Christ met in homes and in the Stanton school for worship. In 1904, Brother Price Billingsley from Abilene led a gospel meeting that prompted the organization of a Stanton Church of Christ congregation; Judge Bailey Anderson and Will Akers were the first elders appointed. By 1906, the congregation had erected its first church building, which members moved to a second location in 1915. In 1944, the congregation purchased this site and built a third sanctuary. Members, active in their community, have served in church programs, which have included a radio program, mission work and assistance to other area congregations.
 
Erected 2003 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14220.)
 
Location. 32° 7.874′ N, 101° 47.353′ W. Marker is in Stanton, Texas, in Martin County. Marker is at the intersection of St. Mary Street and East Broadway Street, on the left when traveling south on St. Mary Street. Click for map. Marker is on the southeast corner. Marker is in this post office area: Stanton TX 79782, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church of Stanton
Stanton Church of Christ Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 11, 2015
2. Stanton Church of Christ Marker
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Marienfeld (about 500 feet away); Old Martin County Jail (about 700 feet away); Connell House (about 700 feet away); Site of St. Joseph's Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carmelite Monastery (approx. 0.2 miles away); J. E. Millhollon Ranch House (approx. one mile away); Midland County's First Producing Oil Well (approx. 15 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Stanton.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Stanton Church of Christ image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 11, 2015
3. Stanton Church of Christ
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 160 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement