“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Big Spring in Howard County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Big Spring School District

Big Spring School District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 11, 2015
1. Big Spring School District Marker
Inscription. Education has been an important endeavor in Howard County since its formal organization in 1882, when the first commissioners court ordered the construction of a school building and created Howard County Common School District No. 1 in 1883.

On December 14, 1901, the Big Spring School District was established and a new brick schoolhouse named Central Ward was built to house students in all ten grades. Records indicate that the county provided $40/month for a teacher for African-American students in 1902. Within the first ten years of its creation, Big Spring School District built two more elementary schools and a new high school.

The discovery of oil in the Permian Basin in the late 1920s signaled an era of growth and increased school enrollment in Big Spring. In the 1930s, the Kate Morrison School for Mexican-American students and the Lakeview School for African Americans were both completed, as were three other neighborhood elementary schools. An early vocational cooperative education program in Big Spring was one of the first of its kind in the state.

The 1950s and 1960s saw enrollment increases and new school construction because of the presence of Webb Air Force Base. In 1955, Big Spring became one of the first school districts in Texas to enforce the Supreme Court's decision against school segregation.
Big Spring School District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 11, 2015
2. Big Spring School District Marker
Big Spring annexed the neighboring Gay Hill and Center Point school districts in 1964.

Many accomplishments during its first 100 years give Big Spring schools a significant role in Howard County's educational history.
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12579.)
Location. 32° 14.771′ N, 101° 27.872′ W. Marker is in Big Spring, Texas, in Howard County. Marker is at the intersection of East 11th Place and Owens Street, on the right when traveling east on East 11th Place. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 708 East 11th Place, Big Spring TX 79720, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Christian Church (approx. mile away); First National Bank in Big Spring (approx. 0.8 miles away); Settles Hotel (approx. 0.8 miles away); A Historical Big Spring Meat Market (approx. 0.9 miles away); Big Spring Hardware Company (approx. 0.9 miles away); The J. & W. Fisher Company (approx. 0.9 miles away); Potton House (approx. one mile away); St. Thomas Catholic Church (approx. 1.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Big Spring.
Categories. Education
Big Spring School District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 11, 2015
3. Big Spring School District Marker
<i>Marker to the right of Big Spring School District Marker</i> image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 11, 2015
4. Marker to the right of Big Spring School District Marker
100 Years of accomplishments of the Big Spring Independent School District
Early adoption of approved curriculum: 1904 by the University of Texas; 1919 by the Texas Education Agency Oldest continuously operated vocational cooperative program in Texas (1935) First School to desegregate by court order in Texas – 1935 Service to country with 65 exes who gave their lives in war and a Congressional Medal of Honor recipient. Set record for number of National Merit Scholars (5) in nation in 1964. High school student council served twice as President and once as Vice President Parliamentarian, of the Texas Association of Student Councils Athletes who have gained national recognition: 16 pro football players; one Olympic silver medalist State level UIL team participation: football; baseball; boys basketball; volleyball; boys golf; girls and boys track; boys cross-country; and team tennis State and national level winners in literary, fine arts and vocational events Maintained a bible class at the high school for over 60 years Award winning programs for the handicapped since 1960 High school has maintained an Ex Students Association, a Hall of Fame, and a Museum since 1973

Schools of the Big Spring Independent School District
Airport/S.M. Anderson Kindergarten Center (1951) Big Spring High School (1952) Big Spring Junior High School (1999) Central Ward/Runnels Vocational and Cafeteria (1924-1999) Unoccupied College Heights Elementary/Alternative School (1938) East Ward/Boydstun Elementary (1930-1989) Razed Goliad Junior High/Goliad Middle School/Goliad Elementary (1958) Kate Morrison Elementary/Sold to Catholic Church (1932-1986) Kentwood Elementary (1962) Lakeview Elementary and High School/Head Start School (1954) Marcy Elementary(1960) Moss Elementary (1965) North Ward Elementary/Bauer Magnet School (1930) Old Big Spring High School/Big Spring Junior High/Runnels Junior High (1916-1999) Unoccupied Old Central Ward 10-Grade School/Elementary (1902-1931) Razed Old Lakeview Elementary and High School/North Side YMCA (1914-1977) Razed Old North Ward Elementary (1909 and 1920) Razed Park Hill Elementary/Saint Mary's Episcopal Day School (1954) South Ward Elementary (1930-1951) Razed Washington Elementary (1951) West Ward/Cedar Crest (1930-1977) Razed
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 146 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement