Boiling Springs in Barnwell County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Boiling Springs Academy
Boiling Springs Academy was founded by the Boiling Springs Academical Society in 1823, with trustees Hansford Duncan, John Fowke, James Furse, William Gillette, Gideon Hagood, Frederick Hay, Lawrence Hext, James Higginbottom, Jennings O'Bannon, and Angus Patterson. The academy building, along with its records, was burned by Federal troops in February 1865.
The academy was reopened, and the present one-room school building constructed, in 1908, largely through the efforts of Boiling Springs teacher Olive Hay. Students from grades one through seven attended the academy until it closed in 1947. The academy, which was purchased by Boiling Springs Presbyterian Church in 1969, now serves as a community center.
Erected 1998 by Barnwell Co. Museum & Historical Board. (Marker Number 6-8.)
Location. 33° 8.122′ N, 81° 25.906′ W. Marker is in Boiling Springs, South Carolina, in Barnwell County. Marker is on Boiling Springs Rd (South Carolina Route S-6-39 Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Barnwell SC 29812, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Boiling Springs Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tarlton Brown (1757 - 1845) (approx. 0.2 miles away); Winton County Court House Site (approx. 3.1 miles away); Lower Three Runs Baptist Church (approx. 4.4 miles away); Morris Ford Earthworks (approx. 6.9 miles away); Speedwell Methodist Church (approx. 7.3 miles away); Town of Ellenton (approx. 7.3 miles away); Ellenton Agricultural Club (approx. 7.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Boiling Springs.
1. Boiling Springs Academy Advertisement
(transcript of newspaper advertisement shown in Photo 3)
Teachers will be wanted to take charge of this Academy on the 1st day of January next. The situation of the Boiling Spring is about 7 miles from Savannah River, in South Carolina; 8 from the village of Barnwell; and about 25 miles
† † † By order of the Board
† † † —Gideon Hagood, Chairman
A. Patterson, Secíry
— Submitted October 26, 2008, by Clayton Rhodes of Savannah, Georgia.
Categories. • 20th Century • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,554 times since then and 87 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on , by Clayton Rhodes of Savannah, Georgia. 4, 5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.