Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Bernardino in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Historic Cannon

 
 
Historic Cannon Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, August 1, 2015
1. Historic Cannon Marker
Inscription.
1818 Mexican Cannon captured in Los Angeles by Americans in 1845 and placed in Fort Benson in 1856 by an independent party in a dispute with Mormons over land title.
 
Erected 1980 by Native Sons of the Golden West.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 34° 8.496′ N, 117° 15.119′ W. Marker is in San Bernardino, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker is at the intersection of Del Rosa Avenue North and Date Place, on the left when traveling south on Del Rosa Avenue North. Click for map. This marker and cannon are in front of the Native Sons' Brazelton Hall. This hall is right at the eastbound Del Rosa Ave. offramp from the I-210 freeway. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2701 Del Rosa Avenue North, San Bernardino CA 92404, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Arrowhead Landmark (approx. 2.4 miles away); To Jedediah Smith (approx. 3.3 miles away); Arrowhead Plaza (approx. 3.3 miles away); Site of Mormon Stockade (approx. 3.3 miles away); Charles C Rich / Amasa M Lyman
Historic Cannon & Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, August 1, 2015
2. Historic Cannon & Marker
(approx. 3.3 miles away); Settlement of San Bernardino (approx. 3.3 miles away but has been reported missing); The Council House (approx. 3.3 miles away); Donald S. Wieman (approx. 5.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in San Bernardino.
 
Categories. War, Mexican-American
 
The Cannon image. Click for full size.
By James King, August 1, 2015
3. The Cannon
Historic Cannon & Native Sons image. Click for full size.
By Steve Fassel, August 1, 2015
4. Historic Cannon & Native Sons
(l to r)
Grand Trustee James King,
Grand Trustee Jeff Schmidt,
Grand Outside Sentinel Jerry Stinson,
Grand 2nd VP Erik Christeson,
Grand Trustee Kris Nelson
Bell Marker<br>(Located inside the main door) image. Click for full size.
By James King, August 1, 2015
5. Bell Marker
(Located inside the main door)
This bell was mounted by Matthew Avery Anderson of Boy Scout Troop 128, as a part of an Eagle Scout project that he performed on June 30, 2007. It is a typical example of the bells used in early-day San Bernardino schools. It is believed that this one was used originally at the Central School on Waterman Avenue (a school that was once attended by Matthew's great-grandfather, John Avery "Buzz" Anderson, who served as president of Arrowhead Parlor #110 of the Native Sons of the Golden West). After that structure was replaced in the 1920's, the bell came into the possession of the San Bernardino Pioneer Society, which displayed it at its log cabin meeting hall in Pioneer Park. After the log cabin burned in the early 1970s, the bell was donated to Arrowhead Parlor so that it could be preserved and fittingly displayed.

Dedicated February 28, 2009
by the
Arrowhead Parlor #110
Native Sons of the Golden West.
A Small Arrowhead Plaque<br>by the bell image. Click for full size.
By James King, August 1, 2015
6. A Small Arrowhead Plaque
by the bell
The Bell image. Click for full size.
By James King, August 1, 2015
7. The Bell
The Bell image. Click for full size.
By James King, August 1, 2015
8. The Bell
The Truth Liberty and Toleration plaque can be seen in the sidewalk to the right of the bell, under the eave.
Auxillary Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, August 1, 2015
9. Auxillary Marker
Dedicated to
Truth, Liberty and Toleration
May 4, 1957
Robert Wesley Brazelton<br>(Located inside the meeting hall) image. Click for full size.
By James King, August 1, 2015
10. Robert Wesley Brazelton
(Located inside the meeting hall)
Born San Bernardino August 9, 1880
Joined Arrowhead Parlor July 2, 1902

BRAZELTON HALL
is dedicated to Robert Wesley Brazelton in recognition of his more than a half century of devoted service to Arrowhead Parlor No. 110, Native Sons of the Golden West, and through this organization to our great state of California.

Dedicated May 4, 1957
by Grand Officers N.S.G.W
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 257 times since then and 144 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement