“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Yorkshire in Cattaraugus County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Upper Cattaraugus Valley

Historic New York

Upper Cattaraugus Valley Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 19, 2015
1. Upper Cattaraugus Valley Marker
Inscription. Erie Indians were the first inhabitants of this region. In 1654, they were driven out by the Senecas who occupied several sites along the banks of Cattaraugus Creek. The Cattaraugus, the principal stream of many that divide the Cattaraugus Hills, flows westward in a circuitous course, plunging through deep gorges and rippling by wide flats, before entering Lkae Erie.
The Holland Land Company purchased the area in 1797. It was surveyed by Joseph Ellicott and Paul Busti who became the Company's agents and opened the land to settlement. A few persons built log houses here beginning in 1807. Following the War of 1812 settlement increased steadily with the arrival of families from New England.
Pioneer life had many hardships because of topography, the relatively short growing season and inadequate transportation. Lumber, cheese and maple sugar were the staple products. Leather tanning developed, and local grist mills, textile factories and machine works used the ample supply of water power. The Buffalo and Washington Railway, later part of the Pennsylvania line, arrived in Arcade in 1871 to furnish service to Buffalo and later to Pittsburgh. The region remains largely rural with dairy production an important part of the agrarian economy.
Erected 1963 by New York State Education Department,
Southward image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 19, 2015
2. Southward
New York State Department of Public Works.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Historic New York marker series.
Location. 42° 31.325′ N, 78° 28.681′ W. Marker is in Yorkshire, New York, in Cattaraugus County. Marker is on New York State Route 16 mile south of New York State Route 39, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at a public rest area (no facilities). Rest areas are on either side of NY 16, but the marker is only on the east side. Marker is in this post office area: Yorkshire NY 14173, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Frame House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Former Baptist Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); Caboose #303 (approx. 2.9 miles away); Box Car #411 (approx. 2.9 miles away); Locomotive #110 (approx. 2.9 miles away); 1941 1945 In Honor and Memory (approx. 2.9 miles away); Springville and Sardinia Railroad (approx. 3.2 miles away); Salem Welsh Church (approx. 6.6 miles away).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Markers for the Holland Land Company, Joseph Ellicott and Paulo Busti.
Categories. AgricultureNative AmericansRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
Northward image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 19, 2015
3. Northward
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 162 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement