Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Midland in Midland County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Former Site of Midland National Bank

 
 
Former Site of Midland National Bank Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 12, 2015
1. Former Site of Midland National Bank Marker
Inscription. Organized in Odessa on August 22, 1902, as Odessa National Bank, this institution began with an initial capital of $25,000. In June 1903 the shareholders voted to move the bank to Midland and rename it Midland National Bank.

Bank offices were set up at this site in the Llano Hotel. Built in 1890, the two-story wooden hotel building was a gathering place for ranchers and businessmen. The bank occupied the lower floor of the hotel until 1909, when the structure, along with others in the downtown area, was destroyed by fire. The hotel was rebuilt on the same site, and the bank continued to lease office space.

By 1927 the principal business of the bank had shifted from agriculture to the emerging oil industry. A new three-story bank building was erected at the corner of Texas and Big Spring streets in 1953, and a nine-story tower was added in 1957.

Midland National and the Bank of the Southwest merged in 1968. In 1976 the bank moved to a new fourteen-story structure at 500 W. Texas. The name of the bank was changed to First City National Bank of Midland in 1983.
 
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1952.)
 
Location. 31° 59.864′ N, 102° 4.473′ W. Marker
Former Site of Midland National Bank Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 12, 2015
2. Former Site of Midland National Bank Marker
is in Midland, Texas, in Midland County. Marker is at the intersection of West Wall Street and North Main Street, on the left when traveling east on West Wall Street. Click for map. Marker is on the northwest corner. Marker is in this post office area: Midland TX 79701, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Midland County's First Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); John Valentine Pliska (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of “The Staked Plains” (about 600 feet away); The Yucca Theatre (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brown-Dorsey House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Midland National Bank (approx. 0.3 miles away); W. F. Scarborough Home, 1908 (approx. half a mile away); Midland's First House (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Midland.
 
Regarding Former Site of Midland National Bank. Midland National Bank was purchased by First City Bank Coorporation in the mid 1970's while retaining the Midland National Bank name. It later changed name to First City National Bank of Midland, then First City, Texas -Midland. When FDIC failed First City Banks, the Midland bank was purchased by Texas Commerce Bank but immediately the Dept of Justice forced TCB to sell the Midland bank. It was purchased by Ford Bank Group and re-chartered as Midland National
Bank Building, 500 West Texas Avenue image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 12, 2015
3. Bank Building, 500 West Texas Avenue
Bank. Norwest Bank bought the Ford Bank Group and changed the name to Norwest Bank Midland. When Norwest purchased Wells Fargo and took the name, the Midland Bank became Wells Fargo Bank.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement