Midland in Midland County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
National Portable Drilling Machines
—National #2 Cable Tool Rig —
Date of Manufacturer: Approximately 1910-12
Rated Depth: 2,500 feet
National advertised this as “The Rig that Displaced The Old Standard (wooden) Derrick.” These and similar rigs were widely used to drill shallow holes until they themselves were displaced by portable spudders in the 1920's.
Unlike the others, this rig was still in use until 1972. The Woodcock Brothers of Bradford, Pennsylvania used it to drill 39 wells to an average depth of 1600 ft., between 1960 and 1972, when it was used by the Pennzoil Company in breaking ground for their Houston office.
Location. 31° 58.407′ N, 102° 5.166′ W. Marker is in Midland, Texas, in Midland County. Click for map. Marker is located north of the Permian Basin Petroleum Museum building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1500 West Interstate 20, Midland TX 79701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Forth Worth “Super D” Spudder (a few steps from this marker); Wichtex 18 Spudder (within shouting distance of this marker); The Oil Patch (within shouting distance of this Keystone No. 5 ½ Traction (within shouting distance of this marker); Wichtex 66 Spudder (within shouting distance of this marker); Star Spudder (within shouting distance of this marker); Texas Petroleum in World War II (approx. ¼ mile away); Midland Christian College (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Midland.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 145 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.