Near Midland in Midland County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
(Created and Organized, March 1885)
In 1881 the Texas and Pacific Railroad was built, equi-distant between El Paso and Fort Worth, this became known as Midland. First settler was a sheepman in 1882. Cattlemen came with Herefords in 1888. Water wells and windmills lured small farmers.
Became headquarters for 1928 Permian Basin oil discovery. In 1945 its first well came in.
The "Midland Man", oldest skeletal remains in North America (18,500 B.C.), was found in 1954.
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3363.)
Location. 31° 55.635′ N, 102° 13.242′ W. Marker is near Midland, Texas, in Midland County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 1788 0.4 miles north of Interstate 20, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Midland TX 79706, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Comanche War Trail (approx. 5.6 miles away); Ector County (approx. 5.6 miles away); Emmet V. Headlee, M.D (approx. 6 miles away); Old Buffalo Wallow Midland & Northwestern Railroad (approx. 8.1 miles away); Midland Christian College (approx. 8.2 miles away); National Portable Drilling Machines (approx. 8.5 miles away); Forth Worth “Super D” Spudder (approx. 8.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Midland.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 147 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.