Saint Mary was founded in 1859 by the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth as an academy for young women. The academy moved to this site in 1870. The original building, St. Mary Hall (constructed 1868-70), served both as the Academy and the Motherhouse of the Sisters.
The Sisters opened a junior college program in 1923; and in 1930 Saint Mary became a senior college. Although the academy closed in 1950, Saint Mary continues to carry forward the mission of the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth in Christian education.
Erected 1985 by The Leavenworth County Historical Society.
Location. 39° 16.646′ N, 94° 54.397′ W. Marker is in Leavenworth, Kansas, in Leavenworth County. Click for map. Marker is near the entrance to St. Mary Hall, on the university campus. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4100 4th Street Trafficway, Leavenworth KS 66048, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. CPL David M. Unger (approx. 0.4 miles away); William J. Mulvihill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ricky M. Rodgers (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jeremy Lee Drexler (approx. 0.4 miles away); Veterans Memorial
Also see . . .
1. A History of the University of Saint Mary. (Submitted on August 5, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth. (Submitted on August 5, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Education • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 141 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.