Near Sidney in Shelby County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Turtle Creek Township
Hardin was founded in October, 1816 by Thomas McClish, Joseph Steinberger and James Lenox. These men were also instrumental in developing Shelby County, which included the areas of Allen county until 1831 and Auglaize County until 1848.
A log schoolhouse, Methodist Church, store, hotel, cabinet shop, and carpenter shop were among the first establishments. The log schoolhouse served as the first courtroom for Shelby County.
Erected 2001 by Shelby County Historical Society.
Location. 40° 17.207′ N, 84° 14.713′ W. Marker is near Sidney, Ohio, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of Hardin-Wapakoneta Road (County Route 20) and St Rt 47 (Ohio Route 47), on the left when traveling north on Hardin-Wapakoneta Road. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6703 Hardin-Wapakoneta Rd, Sidney OH 45365, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Hardin (within shouting distance of this marker); First Brick House (approx. 2 miles away); General Harmar Military Trail Sidney Fire Bell (approx. 4.5 miles away); Monumental Building (approx. 4.7 miles away); Carey's Hall (approx. 4.7 miles away); Peoples Federal Savings and Loan Association Building (approx. 4.7 miles away); Shelby County Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sidney.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 177 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.