Woodside in San Mateo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Tablet placed by California Centennials Commission. Base furnished by County Board of Supervisors in cooperation with the San Mateo County Historical Association.
Dedicated October 16, 1969
Erected 1969 by The California Centennials Commission, The County Board of Supervisors in cooperation with the San Mateo County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 93.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the California Historical Landmarks marker series.
Location. 37° 25.831′ N, 122° 16.631′ W. Marker is in Woodside, California, in San Mateo County. Marker is on Kings Mountain Road, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 471 Kings Mountain Road, Redwood City CA 94062, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Folger Stable c.1905 (approx. The Chinese Walls (approx. 1.6 miles away); First Saw Mill (approx. 2.1 miles away); Town of West Union (approx. 2.3 miles away); Town of Searsville (approx. 2.6 miles away); In Memoriam The Aircraft "Resolution" (approx. 2.9 miles away); Filoli (approx. 3.3 miles away); St. Denis Church and Cemetery (approx. 3.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Woodside.
Regarding Woodside Store. This site was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No. 93 on 3/29/1933.
This site was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on 07/18/1985
Also see . . . Plan Your Visit to the Woodside Store. The San Mateo County History Museum Trip Brochure. (Submitted on April 30, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
1. Woodside Store
In October 1849, Matthias Alfred Parkhurst, age 20, purchased 127 acres of John Copinger's Rancho
Parkhurst and Ellis began with a shingle camp. Tripp and others joined them. Using an old trail along Redwood Creek to the bay, the partners dragged wharf timbers to a Mexican embarcadero at the site of present day Redwood City. There they made rafts and floated them on the tides to San Francisco's bay waterfront. Gold Rush growth and several severe fires in the city created high demand for building materials. Thus did a prosperous commerce open in 1850 for lumbermen, teamsters, blacksmiths, wagon makers, storekeepers, and saloon owners.
Parkhurst at first sold goods from his modest hut, then Tripp joined him in a small store building. In 1853 when stage service began to their store in the Red Woods, they renamed their business site Woodside. A year later, they built a new store, the present building. Their partnership was dissolved in 1860. In 1863 Parkhurst died. Dr. Tripp took over, operating the store until his death in 1909. He became a legendary character, his name synonymous with Woodside.
During his lifetime,
In 1940 the San Mateo County Historical Association urged the store's preservation and it was purchased by San Mateo County. The store has since been restored to its 1880s condition and stocked with period items.
Source: San Mateo County Parks
— Submitted April 30, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,290 times since then and 29 times this year. Last updated on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.