Near South Stormont in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties, Ontario — Central Canada
Lost Villages of the St Lawrence
Construction of the St Lawrence Seaway required the flooding of 20,000 acres along the Canadian shoreline between Iroquois and Cornwall. Some of these lands had been settled by loyalists in the 1780s. Between 1955 and 1957, 6,500 residents were relocated many of them to the new communities of Ingleside and Long Sault. Work crews moved buildings to new sites and re-routed highways and railway tracks. Iroquois and part of Morrisburg were rebuilt on higher ground. On "Inundation Day", July 1, 1958, the rising waters of Lake St Lawrence slowly submerged the villages of Aultsville, Farran's Point, Woodlands, Dickinson's Landing, Wales, Moulinette, Mille Roches, and a farming community on Sheek's Island.
Erected 1994 by Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Recreation.
Location. 45° 1.929′ N, 74° 51.472′ W. Marker is near South Stormont, Ontario, in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties. Marker is at the intersection of Provincial Highway 2 and Avonmore Road (County Route 15), on the right when traveling east on Provincial Highway 2. Click for map. Marker is located near the entrance of Lakeside Park. Marker is in this post office area: South Stormont, Ontario K0C 1P0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Eisenhower Lock (approx. 5.8 kilometers away in the U.S.); The Empire State (approx. 10 kilometers away in the U.S.); Dedicated to All Members of the U.S. Armed Forces (approx. 11.5 kilometers away in the U.S.); In Memory of Those Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice (approx. 11.5 kilometers away in the U.S.); Site of First School in Massena (approx. 11.7 kilometers away in the U.S.); Akwesasne (AH kwey ZAH sney) (approx. 14.2 kilometers away in the U.S.); Holstein Friesian Cattle in Ontario (approx. 15.7 kilometers away); St. Lawrence River and Massena (approx. 16.6 kilometers away in the U.S.).
Regarding Lost Villages of the St Lawrence. The Lost Villages museum is located ½ mile east on Route 2.
Also see . . .
1. Lost Villages Historical Society and Museum. (Submitted on August 7, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
2. Wikipedia - Lost Villages. (Submitted on August 7, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 127 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.