Natchitoches in Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Ft. St. Jean Baptiste
(Six Blocks South)
Built about 1715 by request of Saint Denis to halt the Spanish expansion eastward. Natchitoches Indians, allies of the French, gave their name to the city.
(a 300 meters au Sud)
Construit vers 1715 à la demande de Juchereau de St-Denis, afin d'arreter l'expansion espagnole vers l'Est. Les Indiens Natchitoches, alliés aux Français, donnérent leur nom à la ville.
Dedicated January 30,1965 by the St. Denis Chapter, D.A.R. Natchitoches, Louisiana
Erected 1955 by Louisiana Department of Commerce and Industry.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 31° 45.586′ N, 93° 5.168′ W. Marker is in Natchitoches, Louisiana, in Natchitoches Parish. Marker is on Front Street (Louisiana Route 6) north of Touline Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Natchitoches LA 71457, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Roque House (approx. 0.2 miles away); El Camino Real (approx. ¼ mile Louis Juchereau De St. Denis (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Fort Claiborne (approx. ¼ mile away); Natchitoches Indians (approx. ¼ mile away); Colonial Gateway Corral (approx. 0.9 miles away); Old Plauche Place / Ducournau Plantation (approx. 7 miles away); Badin-Roque House (approx. 12.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Natchitoches.
Also see . . .
1. Fort St. Jean Baptiste State Historic Site. (Submitted on August 9, 2015.)
2. Fort St. Jean Baptiste State Historic Site. Wikipedia (Submitted on August 9, 2015.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 138 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on . • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.